Friday, February 6, 2009

My Belize Trip

It has been nearly a year since I have given up on trying to write in a blog as I have really had no reason to do so. Reading back on my previous posts I am somewhat reluctant to put this topic down in the same forum as they are in no way related and is much like watching Caddy Shack and then trying to sit down and digest Schindler's List. Never-the-less I have had a few requests from friends and family to share my trip to Belize and felt that rather than try and remember every detail and then rehash the story with diminishing enthusiasm each time, I would put it all down in writing in one easily accessable spot. A little background before I jump into the story, I have been supporting a non-profit called Sports Servants for the past 3 years that was started by one of my college roommates, Zac Hood. The aim of the project has been to set up soccer camps for elementry aged children who would be unable to do so otherwise and to share the gospel. Zac asked me to go with him to help set up the camps and speak with officials for the summer. I had somewhat selfish intensions when I accepted this opportunity to get out of the country for my first time. Zac encouraged me to keep a daily hand written journal of my encounters while on the trip. This is my first time to ever try and write down my thoughts for any length of time but hope it was adequate enough to capture the majority of what I experienced. Here is that journal.

No comments: